Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Pecan Pie Tasting, Maple VS Honey

Zach's dad's favorite pie is Pecan. His birthday party was this past weekend so I decided to make him a pie to celebrate.

I've been intrigued by the Honey Pecan Pie recipe from the Miss Kay's Duck Commander Cookbook. I was particularly interested because I love to use ingredients from the farm whenever I can. This year we got a bumper crop of honey from our hives, so I thought this pie would be perfect!

Get the recipe over at Mommy's Kitchen

I was browsing around other blogs and noticed that honey could be swapped for maple syrup in this recipe.

We have a bunch of that too!

So I made two pies.

One with honey

and one with maple syrup.

They were both DELICIOUS!!!

The maple had a deeper flavor and not quite as sweet as the honey. The honey has a brighter taste, and you couldn't mistake the honey flavor.

If I had to pick one, I think it would be the maple. I love anything maple flavored. Also, Pecan Pie is very sweet to me anyway, so I enjoyed the downplay of sweet flavor from the syrup addition. But both got votes from our family that tasted the pies.

To make the maple version, substitute 1/2 cup maple syrup for 1/2 cup honey, cook as directed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

BlogCatalog