Saturday, November 22, 2014

Faux Large Loom, Hand Woven Scarf, Part 1

I saw this yarn at a local yarn store and fell in love. Sometimes a yarn just stops you dead in your tracks and you have to have it! This was such a case.

The moment I saw it I knew that it needed to be woven. The yarn was bulky almost like a multi-colored roving plied with black string. It was too busy to be knitted or crocheted and I wanted the yarn to simply speak for itself.

My challenge was how to weave such a long piece without a large loom.

So I decided to cheat! I have several lap looms meant for loom knitting. This wooden one is particularly handy for this project because it unscrews and comes apart.

So I separated the two halves and clamped them to opposite sides of out coffee table with wood clamps. This way I could use the length of the table to lengthen the loom space.

If you don't have a wooden loom, two plastic lap looms would work as well.

Then I worked the yarn back and forth across the table skipping a peg between each length. In a sense, I was warping the loom. I learned at the end that it's a good thing to finish with an even number of warped yarn to make things easier when tying off the finished scarf.

Once the scarf was warped I found some Terracotta and rusty-burgundy yarn in a smaller thickness to weft the scarf.

I marked the places I wanted to weft with clothespins, leaving about an 1 1/2 inches between so that the thicker yarn would show through.

Then I pre-cut all my weft lengths alternating between each color. These ended up being about 1 1/2 ' which would give me three rows of weaving. 

Now I was ready to begin weaving. Check out Part 2, and Part 3 for instructions on the weaving process.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

BlogCatalog